Over the past two weeks, I painted the lake house and shed, and stained both decks. It’s a massive improvement from what it looked like before! After having the house and decks power washed, I started with staining the front ramp and porch. I moved on to the back deck, and worked until I ran out of stain.
After that, I moved onto painting the red trim around the back of the house, which paired nicely with the stain color on the deck.
The next day, I picked up more stain and finished staining the deck, along with the retaining wall timbers under the deck. It took a lot of ladder work; since the house is built into a hill, the deck and the back of the house are surprisingly far off the ground.
The next day, I worked on painting the beams that run along the edge of the roof. I used the same red color that I used for the trim, which added a lot of definition to the roofline.
The next day, which turned out to be a very cold, windy, spring day, I painted the line of trim under the soffets between the roof and the brick walls. It’s a small amount of trim, but was a lot of labor due to all the taping that was required.
Last weekend, I wanted to fully finish the job. I had to paint all the window and door trim, replace some boards on the front ramp, do a lot of touch ups, and paint the shed.
With the job largely done, it was time for a celebratory prime rib!
On Sunday, I did some clean up work along with staining the mailbox post and painting the outhouse.
The end result is an amazing improvement over the original house! I’m a huge fan of how the khaki trim complements the red trim and stain, without looking as harsh or dirty as the old pure white trim.